Sunday, February 03, 2008

When to become a dad?

I am in an unsure position right now. I am happily married to my wonderful wife for 2 years now.

My wife has reached a point of now wanting children. She is 28 and about to turn 29 (I am of the same age as hers) and also feels it is important for her to have a child soon, partly due to her wish to do so and partly due to body clock.

However, for about 6 months now I’ve been saying I am not ready and putting it off. I have stated truthfully so that I do feel I am getting closer. But I have now reached a point where I am unsure but also wonder if I will ever be sure.

I would like a child, but I’m not really much of a kid person or at least I don’t think so (My wife thinks I get on really well with kids!!).

I think my biggest worries are partly financial (On my wage alone I couldn’t support us, as a joint wage we could).

But I also have a nagging feeling in my mind that when I have kids my life may be over. Don’t get me wrong I know I’ll love my child but I feel any ambitions and hobbies I currently enjoy may go out the window. I work a regular 9 to 5 job, am in a band for which I like to indulge some of my spare time and would like to try and make it more with that. I also enjoy exercising regularly. But by the same token I also enjoy spending a lot of time with my wife.

The question I guess I am asking is when someone knows they are ready to be a dad. Given what i've said above, do lots of people feel like this. And can anyone help with any advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment